"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mixology : Liquid Black Soap Moisturizing Shampoo Recipe

-source-



Hey ladies!

I make my own liquid black soap and the main reason is to make it more moisturizing for my hair. Shampoos are generally drying for my hair and black soap is the best form shampoo I have ever used for my hair. I have used just black soap alone and it's great but since our hair is naturally dry and mine extra dry, I feel I have to go the extra mile to make it moisturizing enough for my hair. I have been using this shampoo for a while now and a little really does go a long way. 

Here's what you need to do :




1. Cut a bar (about 150gr/5.3 oz) of black soap into pieces using a knife (BE CAREFUL not to cut yourself!!!)

2. Put the pieces in a container and add 150 ml of water and left it over nigh to melt. I try to heat the water before adding it to the soap or put the container (with the water) over some hot water to melt it otherwise, the melting process will take longer than a day.

3. Then add a big tbsp of coconut oil

4. and another one of honey

5. and 2 big tbsp of olive oil

6. A few drops of rosemary essential oil (please consult a physician before using any essential oil for your safety)

7. A tsp of hydrolyzed wheat protein (if you want some protein in it)

8. A small amount (1 tsp max!!!) of guar gum to thicken it up and to add a conditioning property to the shampoo

9. Mix everything with a hand mixer (to mix the guar gum well. Normally everything mixes well into an homogenous solution and no water/oil phase occurs)

10. Pour into bottle or pump bottle and you're ready to go!

That's it! 

Easy right?

I am still going to revise the ingredients and their proportions but for now here's what I have. You can always play around with ingredients depending on what your hair works well with and how it responds to ingredients. Please be careful when trying your own recipes! Inform yourself and stay safe.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

If you have any suggestions, or you do try it, please share!!!

Stay blessed and funky sisters!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a neat way to make your own shampoo! I can't wait to try this. Girl, you have some of the best diy hair recipes! Thanks for sharing this Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sis!! It's my pleasure!! Do share how it goes!!
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipes, they are just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What preservatives do you use? I do alot of my own recipes, but have been staying away from recipes contating water due to bacteria growth. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey MS. DIY! Thanks for passing by!
    Right now, I am using grapefruit seed extract and it works great! Other alternatives I use when I want to save on the latter is Tea Tree. There are also synthetic alternatives, lots actually.
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found that making the soap liquid first and then stirring in melted shea butter makes a really good non stripping shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bb.

      Yes indeed it does!
      Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Hey! Thanx for the post,very informative. Just want to ask if grapefruit seed extract can be made at home also and how? Thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon.
      It's a pleasure.
      No, grapefruit seed extract cannot be made at home.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top